18 Nov Learn about the student visa and exchange visitor visa

F-1 Student Visa
The “F” visa is reserved for non-immigrants wishing to pursue academic studies and/or language training programs. F-1 Visa is given only through “academic” institutions. Vocational education is not included in F-1 visa. For vocational education, an M Visa should be obtained.

F-1 students are not authorized for employment except for on-campus work of less than 20 hours per week (full-time permitted during school recess periods). Where economic hardship is present, off-campus employment authorization of less than 20 hours per week may be obtained after the first year. Otherwise, F-1 students can obtain practical training employment authorization “Optional Practical Training (OPT)” for a period of one year, usually after completing their degree program. OPT employment is not limited to a specific employer, but must be related to the student’s field of study. Additionally, students who have completed nine (9) months of an undergraduate degree program, or students pursuing a graduate degree program, may obtain authorization to participate in an internship or cooperative training program that is part of their curriculum (“Curricular Practical Training”).

Spouses and children of an F-1 student may be issued F-2 Visas so they may accompany the student. Spouses cannot engage in full-time studies at any level. Children may attend primary and secondary school, but cannot pursue post-secondary education, unless they too obtain an F-1 visa. Neither spouses nor children can be employed while in F-2 status.

M-1 Student Visa for Vocational and Technical Schools
M1 Visa a type of student visa reserved for vocational and technical schools. To obtain an M-1 Visa for traveling to the United States, a student must present a signed Form I-20 at a United States embassy or consulate in his home country. The I-20 is issued by a designated school official, typically the international student adviser, after the student has fulfilled a school’s admissions requirements and presented proof of financial resources.
M-1 students are admitted into the United States for a fixed time period. When they cross the border, their I-94 departure cards are stamped with a date, unlike students with an F-1 visa. They may stay for the length of their training program plus any Optional Practical Training, plus a thirty-day grace period at the end of their training. Their stay may not exceed one year unless they are granted an extension for medical reasons. If a student violates his status by, for example, not maintaining a full course of study, he is not eligible for the grace period.
Students in M-1 status may not work on or off campus while studying, and they may not change their status to F-1

J1 Exchange Visitor Visa
A J-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa available to aliens that fall under the designation of “Exchange Visitor”. J-1 exchange visitors travel to the United States through a Department of State approved sponsor program to teach, study, receive training or demonstrate special skills. Individuals who qualify for J-1 status if sponsored through an accredited Exchange Visitor Program include:

  • Au Pair
  • Camp Counselor
  • College or University Student
  • Government Visitor
  • Intern
  • International Visitor
  • Physician
  • Professor and Research Scholar
  • Secondary School Student
  • Short-Term Scholar
  • Specialist
  • Summer Work Travel
  • Teacher
  • Trainee

wordpress theme powered by jazzsurf.com